Jihadist Confesses to Cooperation Between Salafists and Egyptian State Security

Dec 22, 2011

Published Dec 22, 2011 on Big Peace As a political activist in Egypt, I was under constant surveillance by Mubarak’s so-called “moderate regime” for nearly a decade by state security; my crime was promoting secularism, freedom, human rights, and free market economic policy in my home country. While I was almost entirely banned from the public political discourse, Salafist jihadists had full access to Mubarak’s state-run media. embedded by Embedded Video This should come as no surprise, as jihadism was—and remains—a de-facto ideology that is central to the state and the military regime that rules Egypt today. Over the last year in Middle East Quarterly—and during my testimony before Congress earlier this month—I traced the secret history of the Egyptian regime and their ideological ties to the Muslim Brotherhood and similar jihadist groups. I also knew that these links went as far as al ...

read more

Jihad & the War on Egypt’s Coptic Christians: Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission Testimony ...

Dec 8, 2011

As reported by the Center for Security Policy: Cynthia Farahat testified before the Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission in the House of Representatives. Reps. Frank Wolf and James McDermott presented “Under Threat: The Worsening Plight of Egypt’s Coptic Christians.” Other witnesses included Kathy Fitzpatrick (Deputy Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor, U.S. Department of State); Nina Shea (Director, Center for Religious Freedom, Hudson Institute); Dina Guirguis (Member, Egyptian American Rule of Law Association); Adel Guindy (President, Coptic Solidarity International); and Raymond Ibrahim (Middle East specialist and Associate fellow, Middle East Forum). TESTIMONY OF CYNTHIA FARAHAT TOM LANTOS HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION   Thank you Chairman Wolf and Chairman McGovern for organizing this important hearing. I am very pleased to have the honor of testifying in front of the Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission today about the current status of Copts in ...

read more

Egypt’s Sham Elections

Dec 6, 2011

By Daniel Pipes and Cynthia Farahat Published December 6, 2011 by the National Review According to Egypt’s elections committee, the Muslim Brotherhood won 37 percent of the vote of the first round of voting in Egypt, and the Salafis, who promote a yet more extreme Islamist program, won 24 percent, giving them together a jaw-dropping 61 percent of the vote. This stunning result prompts two questions: Is this a legitimate or rigged outcome? Are Islamists about to dominate Egypt? Legitimate or rigged? No one took seriously Soviet elections with their inevitable 99 percent returns for the Communists, and, while the process and outcome of the Egyptian elections are less blatant, they deserve similar skepticism. The game is more subtle, but it’s still a game, and here is how it’s played: The Muslim Brotherhood (founded in 1928) and the military ...

read more